VIVE’s 5,4,3,2,1 Shopping List
We have labeled the items that you will want to buy “organic" based on the latest research. We believe it’s best to purchase Non-GMO and USDA certified organic foods. We highly recommend purchasing fresh produce from your local farmer’s market.
The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 shopping list is yours to explore.
- Discover your favorite teas, fruits, beans, whole grains, leafy greens and vegetables.
- Experiment with spices and go nuts.
- The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Eating Guide is to help you get the variety of verified (Non-GMO and organic) foods needed for good health and weight loss.
- The body needs to be full and it needs to feel full for whole-person nourishment.
- The body will not be or feel full, if it is not satisfied and the body will not be satisfied if it’s not given a variety of nutrients.
Explore the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 shopping list and have fun with all the amazing natural foods that are available to nourish you. We know this may be a new way of eating and we want to encourage you to focus on giving your body what it needs to do its job. Trust your body’s design.
5 servings each of water and tea (and some coffee)
- Alkaline water or filtered water
- USDA certified organic and fair-trade teas. We highly recommend green and hibiscus tea. Other good teas are black, chai, vanilla chamomile, earl grey, jasmine, lemon, balm, matcha, almond blossom oolong, peppermint, rooibos and white.
- Coffee is fine. We can’t recommend 5 daily servings but hope you continue to enjoy your coffee. USDA certified organic and fair-trade coffee.
- Don’t forget hot chocolate (dairy-free and hormone free, of course).
4 servings each of fruits and vegetables
We highly recommend berries. It’s best to buy organic berries. Berry choices are Wild blue berries, blackberries, organic cherries, organic concord grapes, cranberries, raspberries or strawberries.
Other great choices are organic apples, bananas, cantaloupe, clementines, dates, dried figs, grapefruit, honeydew, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangos, organic nectarines, oranges, papaya, passion fruit, organic peaches, pear, pineapple, pomegranates, plum, prunes, tangerine and watermelon.
Vegetables- We highly recommend all cruciferous vegetables, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and organic kale. Other great choices include organic arugula, bok choy, cabbage, cauliflower, organic collard greens, horseradish, organic mustard greens, radish, turnip greens and organic watercress. We highly recommend garlic, onions and beets. Other great choices are artichokes, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms (button, oyster, portobello, and shiitake), okra, organic peppers, pumpkin, sea vegetables, snap peas, squash, organic tomatoes and zucchini.
3 servings of beans, legumes, starch vegetables (potatoes or corn) or whole grains
Beans or legumes- We highly recommend black beans, kidney/cannellini beans, garbanzo (chickpeas) beans and pinto beans.
Other good bean choices are black eyed peas, butter beans, edamame, English peas, great northern beans, miso, navy beans, small red bean, split yellow or green peas and tempeh. Lentils- green, red or mixed.
Starch vegetables- We highly recommend sweet potatoes. Other good choices are corn, purple potatoes, white potatoes and yams.
Whole grains- We highly recommend quinoa, oats, black rice and Ezekiel bread.
Other great choices are barley, buckwheat, millet, popcorn (air-popped), rice (brown, purple and red), rye, teff, whole-wheat pasta and wild rice.
2 servings of Leafy Greens- Please buy only organic leafy greens
We highly recommend SPINACH! Other great choices are arugula, beet greens, collard greens, kale (black, green and red), mesclun mix, mustard greens, sorrel, Swiss chard and turnip greens.
1 serving of flaxseed, nuts, and spices
We highly recommend flaxseed. Buy whole flaxseed and grind it with a coffee grinder. Store bought ground flaxseed has a 6-month shelf life and whole flaxseed has a year shelf life. (Ground flaxseed may have lost a lot of its nutrients by the time you purchase it from a store. Also, always grind chia seeds to release nutrients that you can digest.)
Nuts- We highly recommend walnuts, pecans, almonds and cashews. Other great choices are Brazil nuts, chia seeds, hazelnuts, hemp seeds, macadamia nuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds
Spices- We highly recommend SPICES.
All-spice, barberries, basil, bay leaves, cardamom, chili powder, cilantro, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, curry powder, dill, fenugreek, garlic, ginger, horseradish, lemongrass, marjoram, mustard powder, nutmeg, oregano, smoked paprika, parsley, pepper, peppermint, rosemary saffron, sage, thyme turmeric and vanilla.